Team USA: 2020 Olympics Medals & Records Breakdown
At the 2020 Olympic games Team USA was represented by a diverse mix of athletes of various ages and ethnic backgrounds. Many records were set and broken:
- Several sports were added to sports roster at the Olympic Games this year, including 3×3 basketball, BMX freestyle, karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, surfing, and mixed shooting, swimming, triathlon, and track and field events. Team USA won a total of ten medals from new Olympic sporting events. Baseball and softball were also reintroduced at the 2020 Games.
- With seven medals, Simone Biles equaled Shannon Miller as the most decorated American gymnast in Olympic history.
- Surfing hall of famer and the 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2019 WSL Women’s World Tour Champion Carissa Moore became the first woman to earn a gold medal in women’s surfing, a brand-new event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- With five gold medals, Caeleb Dressel (swimming) leaves Tokyo as the most successful athlete from any country.
- In Tokyo, Team USA wrestlers won nine medals, (their biggest medal haul in the sport since 1984). Gable Stevenson, David Taylor, and Tamyra Mensah-Stock all won gold, with Stock becoming the first Black woman to win a gold medal in women’s wrestling.
- Track and field sprinter Allyson Felix confirmed her title as the most decorated American in Olympic track and field history with two medals won in Tokyo. She now has 11 career Olympic medals (including seven golds), surpassing Carl Lewis (10 golds) for the most medals in the sport’s history in the United States, and is second only to Finland’s Paavo Nurmi for all-time Olympic track and field medals.
- With his silver medal in baseball, Cuban-American Eddy Alvarez became only the sixth athlete in Olympic history – and the third American – to earn medals in both the summer and winter Olympics (In boxing, Eddie Eagan won an Olympic gold medal in 1920, and 12 years later, took home a gold medal in the four-man bobsled event, while In the 2012 Olympics in London Lauryn Williams won the gold in the 4×100-meter relay followed by a silver medal in Sochi in the two-woman bobsled. She earlier won a silver in track in 2004.)
- After winning three silver medals (in 1984, 2008, 2012) and two bronzes (in 1984, 2008, 2012), Team USA women’s volleyball team won their first gold medal.
- Sarah Robles became the first American female to win two Olympic medals in weightlifting.
- Xander Schauffele and Nelly Korda won Olympic gold in the men’s and women’s individual golf tournaments, becoming the first American golfers to do so in 121 years.
- Sunisa Lee was the first Hmong-American to compete in an Olympic Games and the first Hmong-American to win gold in the women’s gymnastics all-around competition.
- Ryan Crouser broke three Olympic records in the men’s shot put while repeating his gold medal achievement from 2016
- Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are the most decorated Olympic basketball players in history, with five gold medals each.